BIAS staff members are accomplished investment specialists, but they also like to help communities.
Robert R. Pires, MBA, CFA, BIAS’ Chief Executive Officer is deeply involved in the Portuguese community in Bermuda. Amongst other actions he produced and narrated a documentary film on the connection between Bermuda and the Azores, M. Pires also played a key role in raising funds to finance an exhibit of Azorean artists at the Bermuda National Gallery to commemorate the 150th anniversary of planned migration of Portuguese to Bermuda.
Mark J. Melvin, FCA, CFA, BIAS’ Chief Operating Officer has been a board member of the Sharks swimming club and of the Bermuda Lawn Tennis Association. He is involved with numerous local Bermuda sports clubs and associations and has twice chaired the Round the Sound Swimathon charity event.
Over several years BIAS has participated in adding some more magic to Christmas for many disadvantage children, by making financial donations to the Salvation Army at Christmas time.
BIAS believes that the fundamentals of society lie with the education it provides to its youth. This is why BIAS is affiliated to a scholarship sponsored by the children of Flavio and Florence Pires, which BIAS manages on behalf of their trustees free of charge. This fund distributed between $5000 and $9000 per year to scholastically accomplished students with an emphasis on financial needs.
Additionally, BIAS privately assists with university expenses of promising university students.
Reglindis Ratteray, Scholarship Recipient 2012 / 2013 and 2011 / 2012
- Southern Adventist University, Tennessee, 2nd year
- Anticipated Graduation Date: May 2015
- BSc Nursing
- 1st year’s Grade Point Average: 4.0 / 4.0
Winner of the Nicholl Scholarship awarded by Appleby, a scholarship awarded once a year to Bermudian Students who possess “outstanding character and scholastic abilities.” Appleby is a legal services provider in 10 jurisdictions including Bermuda and Cayman.
Participation in Community Services Projects, Resident Assistant for the university dormitory and for the softball and soccer teams.
Archive Assistant at Bermuda Investment Advisory Services Limited during the 2012 summer break.
Before enrolling at university, Reglindis graduated from the Bermuda Institute of Seventh-day Adventist in June 2011 where she obtained a 1st Class Rank. She was the recipient of the Flavio and Florence Pires Memorial Scholarship and received another scholarship fund from BIAS during her first year of nursing studies at Southern Adventist University.
VaShon Williams, Scholarship Recipient 2011 / 2012:
- Scholarship: Honor Roll, Bermuda Institute
- Distinguishing Features: Last of eight over-achieving boys, musical talents: sings, plays the violin, piano and steel pans
- Leadership Activities: Student Association President, Bermuda Institute; Assistant Class Pastor, Teen Leader at the Hamilton Pathfinder Pioneer Club
- Community Services: Mentor and tutor for at risk young men; usher at the Hamilton Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Acknowledgement: Alpha Phi Alpha Beautillion Scholarship
- Personal Development: Minority Introduction to the Health Sciences Program at the Loma Linda University Medical Center, California
- Preferred Universities: Oakwood University, Alabama; La Sierra University, California; Andrews University, Michigan
- Career Objective: Medical Sciences and Physics
Troy Anderson Jr, Scholarship Recipient 2012 / 2013
- Florida International University, 1st Year
- Anticipated Graduation Date: 2017
- Major: Atmospheric Science
- 1st year's Grade Point Average: 3.83
- Dean's List Fall and Spring
Official Representative of the Golden Panther Chapter of the FIU National Residence Hall Honorary; Treasure (Executive Board) and Hall Ambassador for FIU Panther Hall Hall Council; Member of FIU Caribbean Students Association; Member of Residence Hall Association; Captained the Panther Hall Intramural Soccer Team
In September 2014, Troy won the Nicholl Scholarship and the Fessenden-Trott Scholarship!
Bermuda Investment Advisory Services Limited
Before enrolling at university, Troy Anderson Jr. graduated with high honors from Bermuda Institute while holding the position of Head Boy in June 2013.
Tenneil Ratteray, Scholarship Recipient 2012 / 2013:
- Oakwood University, Alabama, 1st Year
- Career Objective: Physiotherapist for Special Needs Children
- Major: Pre-Physical Therapy
- Minor: Child Development
- First semester GPA: 3.81
- Allied Health Club: helping students to become familiar with occupations in the health field
- The Tom's Club: Bringing awareness to students of poverty, illness, etc.
“Make an impact on someone’s life so they can live comfortably and happily.”
Deidra Ferguson, Scholarship Recipient 2012 / 2013
- Southern Adventist University, Tennessee, 1st Year
- 1st Semester GPA: 3.72
- 2012 / 2013 Awards, acknowledgement: School Prefect, National Junior Honor Society, BI Choir, National Honor Society
- Life Goal: Always put God first
Terrae Tuzo, Scholarship Recipient 2013 / 2014
Awards / Acknowledgement:
Nominated for Bermuda Teen Service Awards Academic Category, Science Fair Award 2013, National Honors Society, Honor Roll from 2008 to 2013, IOWA Certificate of Achievement.
Prefect and Senior Class President
Involved with Duke of Edinburgh and typing letters to the editor on behalf of Willard Fox of the Bermuda Handicapped Association, recently involved with the Ministry of Community and Cultural Development “Survivor Challenge”, KPMG Senior School Investment Challenge and Bermuda Red Cross
Finance & Insurance
Work hard in silence, let success be the noise
Donnalyn Shannon Smith, Scholarship Recipient 2014 / 2015
Academic Honorable mention, Physical Education Honorable mention, Prefect of Bermuda Institute and Perfect attendance.
Volunteer at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, Member of First Church of God Transformation
Surprise Party and Scrapbox Store, Bermuda Hospital
Nursing with a Specialisation in Neurology
“To be happy, to give hope and help to those who don’t have it.”
Angellé Monique Byron
National Junior Honor Society, Prefect, Honorable Mention (Academic), Science Fair Third Place and Third place champion girl (sports).
Assisting mathematics teacher in marking papers, babysitting
First Fruits Nursery
General Dentist or Solicitor
“To be happy and make someone else happy by making their load a little easier.”